Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Growing Pains

Studies show that we learn language best as young children. (Now, don't ask me which studies because I don't have any in particular in mind, but I could find one if need be.) Maybe it's a good thing then that lately, I've been feeling more and more like a child as I wander through the neighborhoods of Nantes.

When we're born, we don't know how to speak, how to ask for the things we need, how to interact, or where to use the bathroom. Some times it's the same way with me here.

I find myself consistently sticking out in some way or another. There's something I'm missing. Is it in my posture, my expression, the length of my pants? I don't know yet. But something about me, or maybe everything about me, makes me stick out as a foreigner.  

Today, in salsa class, I couldn't speak two sentences, without dance partner asking, "Where are you from?" or rather, "Where is your accent from?". I'll admit an accent's not that bad when it comes to charm and individuality, but at this point, I miss interacting with people who are interested in me, and not so much my country.

Back to the child part. Although I know the words, I'm beginning to find that my powers of French speaking aren't always too strong. Fear can weaken them, and anxiety. Both of which I've started to encounter in meeting French students and teachers alone. 

Take my jazz dance class the other night: after bumbling back and forth across the wooden dance floor for an hour and a half, I plucked up the nerve to talk to the instructor, who had poked fun at me and my apparently odd approach to jumping, after the session had ended. I stammered out an explanation of my foreignness and below-average understanding of French, and of course, the instructor laughed at me. Brazenly. When I asked her for information about the class, she laughed again and told me I was asking for something that was my responsibility to find out. Why would she give me any information or help whatsoever?, she said.

And back I went to the first grade, when I had knocked over a glass of apple juice, and the Sunday school teacher and class laughed with abandon at the puddle at my feet oh-so-resembling pee. Needless to say, I was pretty crushed.

There are so many social procedures and magic passwords that I have yet to learn. My homestay family is continually correcting the way I help them with chores. I don't dry my hands off fast enough. Or I don't cut the bread from the right side. Or I don't wrap the leftover cheese properly. Little, little things.

Yet when not done properly, a big red warning light goes off in the heads of all the natives: FOREIGNER.  BE CAREFUL.

So that's where I am right now. Baby steps. Lots and lots of baby steps. But that's the only way to learn, right?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

lots of baby steps,true, you can also teach them something

Sam said...

You should threaten that your President will bomb their country if they even look at you the wrong way. You're approaching this being American thing the entirely wrong way, you have to use it as something of a threat.

Joking of course. I can't imagine living somewhere else where people aren't accustomed to my everyday shenanigans.

Susan Malphurs said...

Oh, Mimi. Culture shock has hit hard! I've heard stories like yours for so many years from missionaries. The only difference is that you DO know some of the language. But you're right, it's baby steps everyday. And Lisa is correct, you have something to teach them as well.

Don't get discouraged, we're all back home rooting for you!

Lot's of love to you, Sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Growing Pains....yes and it never stops....shouldn't stop that's how we all learn, right?
That's what makes us grow, makes us more knowledgeable and hopefully a better person.

I know exactly how you feel...trust me, when people hear me talk even after 20 years of living in the USA they still want to know where I'm from.
I don't "fit" in either apparently. And now I have an accent even when I speak French so I don't really "fit" anywhere.
;)
You mentioned that people are more interested in knowing where you're from than who you are.
In my case I see it differently. I think where I'm from is part of who I am so it's only natural that people ask me where my accent is from.
I'm different than those around me like we all are. Each of us is unique and... I have an accent. It’s neither a plus or a minus, it just is.
In time the people that matters will get to know the whole YOU not only where the cute girl with an accent comes from.

It’s hard to be in a foreign country, away from your roots, your family, your friends and far from the language you’ve always expressed yourself in.
But if anybody can do it...I know you can.
So there are a few obstacles and basically you’ve been thrown (or threw yourself) into the fire. It’s very difficult to be in your situation but it’s also the best way to learn.
You put yourself in a position where you have to do it. It’s a crash course, Mimi’ style.
I know you and you would not be there if you didn’t think you could make it (and we would not have encouraged you either).

So keep your head up high, keep trying, the fear will go away.
If I did it so can you.
Trust me I didn’t know English as well as you know French when I came here and I had to work (and answer the phone....yeah, It was pretty scary for me and pretty funny for others).

As far as not wrapping the cheese properly...gotta be done right, you know how the French are about their cheeses (and bread for that matter)!!!! It’s sacred food ;)

Give it time and soon you’ll be a French-American girl, just like me :)
(except reversed)
Love you Mimi. Bisous.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

coucou Mimi
Comment vas tu ?Comment se passe tes cours ?je te fais de gros bisous Je pense à toi bisous.
Dany

Jules said...

mimi. i just read this and it spoke volumes to me. i love you and i love your expression of what i am feeling right now, too. well done, darlin. as for the jazz teacher, i will come with you next time and we'll show her what's what, k? ;)

madeline elizabeth said...

damn. this entire blog you wrote simply took the words right out of my bouche. at least your host family doesn't think you're a fat gourmande like mine does!

Anonymous said...

Coucou Mimi
Je suppose que ton pc ne fonctionne pas encore .J'ai eu de tes nouvelles par Cathy je sais que tu as fais un bon voyage et que tu es bien arrivée à Nantes.J'espère que pour toi tout va bien et que ta famille d'accueil est plus sympathique avec toi .J'ai été très contente de te voir meme si cela a été court .Je te fais de gros bisous .Dany

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Mimi
Comment vas tu ?Est-ce que ton voyage en Italie c'est bien passé as-tu vu de belles architectures de beaux paysages de jolies choses dans l'ensemble est ce que l'Italie t'as laissé de bons souvenirs.Je te fais de gros bisous

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Mimi
J'espère que tout va bien pour toi .
Tu ne donnes pas souvent de tes nouvelles je pense que tu as beaucoup de travail et que tu es trop occupée.
Bon je te fais de gros bisous.
Dany